[pct-l] sexy men / Switchback's PCT fuzzy pink slippers

Reinhold Metzger reinholdmetzger at cox.net
Fri Nov 30 06:10:22 CST 2007

Brick,
It is all good natured comedy, no harm intended, Switchback and I are
just trying to keep the list lively & humorous.
The term ''slack packer'' is not directed at anybody in particular and
certainly not you...and yes I have noticed your e-mail address being
brick at fastback.com.
For comedy affect I used the term attacked....in reality criticized
would be the more appropriate word.

I and other fast packers or speed hikers have, on many occasions,  been
criticized  for hiking to fast and not enjoying our  journey.
In reality I'm somewhat of a slack packer myself.
When I hike with the Scouts or my wife and friends it is at a leisure
pace with a heavy pack.
Only the JMT and the Grand Canyon rim-rim  &  rim-rim-rim bring out the
fast packer beast in me.

As far as my definition of ''slack packer'' is concerned  ( I was
introduced to that term by O.D. Coyote )....a hiker hiking at a very
leisurely pace, with a heavy pack containing all essentials and items
deemed not essential but needed to provide the enjoyment and comfort
level  the hiker seeks.
Nothing wrong with slack packing....on the other hand there is nothing
wrong with fast packing.... I just wish all hikers would accept that.

BTW,   I think you are doing a great job administrating the list...I
know it's hard when you have to contend with  ''Gooney''  birds like
Switchback and me.

JMT Reinhold
The slack packer turned occasional fast packer