[pct-l] Cold on the Trail

Hiker97 at aol.com Hiker97 at aol.com
Tue Nov 27 22:12:03 CST 2007

As has been said when you are up and start moving, being cold goes away  with
just basic backpacker clothing.  I start hiking around 5-6:30 AM  depending
on the day's schedule.  I eat breakfast on the trail along with  electrolytes
drinks.

In camp I am in my sub 3 pound free standing MRS Hubba tent set up.   The
netting keeps most of the breezes out of my tent and that makes a big  difference
in warmth/comfort (I do not use the rainfly unless it is  raining).  The
double foam floor ground cloth and torso pad inside the tent  keeps cold spots
away.  I think my foam pad system weighs under 12 ounces,  but is major
contributor for keeping warm - my torso actually has triple foam  under it.

For some reason I like to battle cold/wind in the tent -- bring it on --  the
more robust the better.  I like having the light clothes and sleeping  bag
(under 17 ounces) and down jacket system that keeps me okay.  The  jacket has a
nice down hood.  Very warm and comfortable.  Basically, I  surround myself
with down and silk.  Not bad at all.  Plus, I am super  sexy out there on the
trail with this set up.  Oh, yes, I have my super  light fleece covered air/foam
pillow.

My backpack is only rated at 20 pounds (old Ray Jardine style backpack with
no waist belt -- 18 ounces with modifications).  So, I have to watch my  gear
weights closely.  I do not consider myself Ultra Light, but Very  Light --
this is my happiness range.  I also use a waist pack.

Of course, I could go lighter.  But that is not my comfort and  happiness
level on the trail.  If I felt I had to go lighter, then I would  question my
goals for being out there.  I am not criticizing anyone else,  but just my own
hiking goals and standards of safety and fun.

Cheers, Switchback the Black Silk Camper