[pct-l] ziplocks vs. baggies

cvano at tmail.com cvano at tmail.com
Tue Nov 27 17:46:47 CST 2007

Even for a simple slipped half hitch such as this, a few pics, diagrams,
or personal instruction is needed for someone that has never tied it
before.  While the instructions given make a great deal of sense to
anyone writing them, no doubt painfully written as you were tieing it,
they are greek to a neophite and just a bit less to someone like myself
who is a fairly accomplished marlinspiker.  For a referance with pics go

http://www.primitiveways.com/knots.html.

After you master the slipped half hitch, try tieing a star knot.  I've
been trying for 4 years with the Ashley Book of Knots and several
others.  I can truthfully say here that I have given knot, splicing, and
marlinspike classes in three and four strand, single, and double braid
lines and still can't do it.

Anyone seriously interested in knots etc. can get The Ashley Book of
Knots and/or any of several dozen other good books at the local
library.  The age of the copyright does NOT matter!  The knots have not
changed in the last 500 years.  Rope technology on the other hand has.
If you want to splice an eye in a climbing rope for example, you'll need
a book written within the last 20 years and some tools.  C

On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 8:57 am, ecpg at peoplepc.com wrote:
> Tell me you guys are kidding about not being able to figure this out.
> Well, on the off chance you aren't kidding here's how it works.
> Practice with a large empty bag till you can do it then you can get
> tighter with it.
>
> A simple overhand knot with a loop pulled thru before it's pulled tight
> is all it amounts to.
>
> 1.Take your bag and push all the air out. Gather the open end of the
> bag together in your left hand.
>
> 2.Grab the bag side in left hand and the tail end in the right. You'll
> have the full bag hanging off one side and the tail hanging off the
> other. Your hands should look like puppy paws.
>
> 3. Now without taking your hand off the bag rotate your right hand so
> that it faces palm up. At the same time stick your right index finger
> out straight, laying it over the bag. You'll now have the tail doubled
> back with your finger between the two layers of the tail.The end of the
> tail will be held in your other three fingers of your right hand.
>
> 4.Now you'll have half a loop with your index finger thru it. Rotate
> your index finger back facing down to complete the loop.
>
> 5. Hold the loop steady with the thumb of your left hand on the left
> edge of it. Keep tail end going off to the right.
>
> 6. Right hand, palm facing down, fold your index finger in half  and
> bring it under the bottom edge of the loop, then over the tail.
>
> 7. Bring your right index finger up thru the loop taking the tail with
> it. This will make a loop thru the tail loop. Tighten as needed.
>
> If this doesn't work maybe I can get some photos. This is so handy
> everyone should know how to do it. Practice with a long piece of rope
> till you get it.
>
> "Sweet Goat Mama"
>
> Carolyn Eddy
> www.goattracksmagazine.com