[pct-l] crampons?

Bob Bankhead wandering_bob at comcast.net
Mon Nov 26 20:09:29 CST 2007

The harder the snow - or on ice - the less effective these ultralight axes are. With their low-mass heads, they are not designed for use under those conditions, but unless one is very early into the mountains, one is not likely to encounter those (crossing the Packwood Glacier below Old Snowy in the Goat Rocks section of WA state being an exception). Nonetheless, you do need to be able to recognize the difference so you don't make the classic mistake of taking a knife into a gun fight.

Bob