[pct-l] Fwd: Re: bear questions

Phil Baily pbaily at webuniverse.net
Sun Nov 25 18:47:25 CST 2007

I didn't mean to send this yet. Sorry.

Nevertheless, I do hang food on imperfect branches in neighborhoods
adjacent to cannister-requirig areas, and  not lost food yet. I do
tie the rope to a tree trunk even though some bears are supposed to
be smart enough to rip that rope. The approved method is to use a
rope that ends in a counterbalance, and then use a stick to get it down.

Bear lockers: In popular areas, they can be crowded or full. Some
people leave their excess food in them! Some have small holes for
ventilation. Mice and other small rodents can get through them. Plug them up.

Rodents: Most places, they are not a problem. Even if they are, they
usually don't get much food unless there are many of them.

An experienced friend of mine sleeps with a handy pile of rocks
available to chase marauders!

Cannisters: I use tieable plastic liners which hold down the aroma
and the number of crumbs. Place it in a visible spot where it will
not easily roll very far at night.

If you think about it and use reasonable precautions, you should not
have a problem. I walked the JMT in pre-cannister days and ran into
no bears!  On the other hand, there are no absolutes.

Having gone full circle, I will say "good luck and enjoy your walk!"

Pieces