[pct-l] Fwd: Re: sleeping bag/Tent

g l gailpl2003 at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 25 08:51:26 CST 2007

g l <gailpl2003 at yahoo.com> wrote: Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2007 06:49:19 -0800 (PST)
From: g l <gailpl2003 at yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [pct-l] sleeping bag/Tent
To: David Stewart <davidalexanderstewart at gmail.com>

 Nice try Moondog, but I'm not buying you a sleeping bag for Christmas.  I might, however buy myself one!  WM as well, most likely.

But I too have a question about the pokey/prickley things....are they EVERYWHRE??  And what's the scientific name for them?  Chirt grass or something?  Rabid mentions something by that name (or sounds like) in Lion King's PCT DVD and this girl has some kind of round picker thing hanging off one of her fingers and it takes about 3 times to get if off.....looks very painful.   I'd like to research it a little.

Thanks,
Wheeew

David Stewart <davidalexanderstewart at gmail.com> wrote: Hello all (again),

 As the holidays approach, I am going to fully use the opportunity to have people who love me buy me incredibly expensive/light gear  for '08. I hope you all do the same. It helps to frame each piece as critical/life altering/the only thing that will save me above 10,000 feet.

 Anywho, my choice for sleeping will be a Western Mountaineering Highlite long sleeping bag. This rates at 35 degrees, and I will get a liner with it. I sleep warm and I think I will prefer layers - I have the feeling that in a 20 degree bag I will love it in the Sierras and then nowhere else, constantly sleeping one leg out or something.

 Is this a bad idea? Should I go with a 30 or 25 and the liner? I have to admit, the Highlite long is only 17 oz. and this idea tickles me pink.

 TENT:

 going to go with the Tarptent Contrail. Do I need a groundcloth with this one? Are the pokey/prickly things so nasty in the desert that my sewn-in bathtub floor will look like swiss cheese afterwards?

  thanks again.

 -moondog

Get easy, one-click access to your favorites.   Make Yahoo! your homepage.