[pct-l] sleeping bag/Tent

David Stewart davidalexanderstewart at gmail.com
Sun Nov 25 04:38:05 CST 2007

Hello all (again),

As the holidays approach, I am going to fully use the opportunity to have
people who love me buy me incredibly expensive/light gear for '08. I hope
you all do the same. It helps to frame each piece as critical/life
altering/the only thing that will save me above 10,000 feet.

Anywho, my choice for sleeping will be a Western Mountaineering Highlite
long sleeping bag. This rates at 35 degrees, and I will get a liner with it.
I sleep warm and I think I will prefer layers - I have the feeling that in a
20 degree bag I will love it in the Sierras and then nowhere else,
constantly sleeping one leg out or something.

Is this a bad idea? Should I go with a 30 or 25 and the liner? I have to
admit, the Highlite long is only 17 oz. and this idea tickles me pink.

TENT:

going to go with the Tarptent Contrail. Do I need a groundcloth with this
one? Are the pokey/prickly things so nasty in the desert that my sewn-in
bathtub floor will look like swiss cheese afterwards?

thanks again.

-moondog