[pct-l] How to handle and pack a bear canister........

Hiker97 at aol.com Hiker97 at aol.com
Sat Nov 24 23:39:00 CST 2007

Good information on packing a canister.  A couple of comments.   One, I use
reflective tape with some clear packing tape over it on my BearVault  solo
canister.  The reflective tape tends to come off and the extra  protection works
great.

Two, I like to put my canister where I can see it from my tent.  That  way I
can be entertained if a bear or something comes along to harass my  canister.
Sometimes in the middle of the night I will shine my light over  at the
canister (about 20-30 yards away).  I am always looking for some  action out there.

To tell the truth, I figure the solo BearVault is good for getting me out  of
the backcountry if a bear eats my food hanging in a tree.  But I have  never
had that happen.  I use a canister only as a food backup if there is  a bear
problem along that part of the trail.  Works fine and the solo  canister fits
nicely in a pack..

Cheers, Switchback the Bare