[pct-l] "Big Guy" sleeping bags

Hiker97 at aol.com Hiker97 at aol.com
Sat Nov 24 03:50:39 CST 2007

Switchback recommends you go to w_ww.nunatakusa.com_
(http://www.nunatakusa.com)  and get a custom wide 800  down bag made.  I use the Ghost bag, but did
not get it made extra wide,  which would have been smart to do.  I use a custom
down jacket with hood  from them with my bag.  Very nice combination.  If it
is extra cold  just use a silk bag liner as an overbag.  Of course, this is
for tent  camping.  I use the MSR Hubba tent with carbon fiber poles
(_www.Fibraplex.com_ (http://www.Fibraplex.com) ).

One thing that is interesting is that in a 360 degree netting tent the wind
is cut down to almost zero, even without a rainfly up.  On the ground I use
two super light closed cell foam pads (GossamerGear.com) under the tent (no
ground sheet) and inside their super light torso pad with a pillow
(_www.luxurylite.com_ (http://www.luxurylite.com) ).

I might take some silk long johns (if it shoulder season or I am going  high)
and a silk balaclava too - to keep the nose and cheeks warmer.   Another
thing, if you get up during the night for a potty break, you are wearing  your
down jacket and you keep warm.  Sometimes I just walk around to check  things out
during the night and feel fine even if it is windy and cold.   Usually, I am
looking for bears and mountain lions to harass or any other  trouble I can get
into.  And the stars at night are super neat.

This system works great for me and is very light and flexible.  I feel  very
safe and comfortable anytime in any weather, except may be winter hiking.
Then I would add a thicker foam ground pad system, a stronger tent, and a more
robust sleeping bag.

Remember, I like it when it gets weather nasty in camp.  I like  slugging it
out with Mother Nature in camp, but not out on the trail.  She  has too much
of an advantage out there.

Cheers, Switchback the Comfort King