[pct-l] Sticks/trees in desert for tarp?

Steel-Eye chelin at teleport.com
Thu Nov 22 09:44:12 CST 2007

Good morning, Eric,

>From my experience, the odds of needing to erect the tarp AND not being able to find a local stick for a prop or a tree/bush for tie-off are very slim.  In the Campo-to-KM stretch I only erected the tarp once.  That was in the San Jacintos under a heavy, rolling mist.  Thinking back on my campsites, I believe I could have reasonably pitched without hiking poles at all of them given some finagling.

I hiked all of the PCT in often-rainy Washington with the same tarp but no hiking poles and had no problems.  Usually about ½ hour before wanting to camp I started looking for appropriate sticks: One about 40" long and one about 20" inches.  Typically I used, but I didn't really need, either.

There will be a few compromises in terms of campsite location and the orientation of your shelter if you need to tie to something local, and I recommend you carry a couple of extra .... and longer .... pieces of cord.  Most of the time I could have also pitched without stakes, but I usually carried a set.  As always, your results may vary.

Happy Thanksgiving,

Steel-Eye