[pct-l] Do all feet swell?

Eric Payne vaporjourney at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 18:44:34 CST 2007

In the preplanning phase for an '08 thru hike right, now and am concerned
about footwear.  Just like I read before doing the AT, people claim out west
in the desert that you should expect your feet to 'swell' up, a half size to
a full size larger than when you started.  Now, this never really happened
to me on the AT, although they did 'stretch' nearly a half size, making
breaking in a new pair of Hardrocks miserable.  From what I've been able to
gather, it seems that the desert heat is what makes people swell.  What I'd
like to know is that if nearly everyone suffers from this, or if it's like
foot-spreading on the AT, and only just a select few.