[pct-l] no cook trail food

Trillium 97 trillium97 at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 19 19:20:27 CST 2007

my point was intended to be that the solar heat wasn't required to reconstitute the food.  The food will get edible without heat, just time and movement in the pack.

Many people enjoy lunches that are not hot - think of deli salads.  ambient temp is OK.

Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 08:14:18 -0800From: Tortoise73 at charter.netTo: gkesselr at whidbey.comCC: trillium97 at hotmail.com; pct-l at backcountry.netSubject: Re: [pct-l] no cook trail food
OK, Now, we need to get scientific about this.Someone ake a couple of containers, one covered with black tape and the other clear. Fill with water and place in the sun and see which gets warmer after say an hour or two. Try covered with black netting like the pack pocket.Also my opinion is that if carried inside the pack there would be little difference since all heat would come form conduction from the rest of the pack contents.Tortoise

<> He who finishes last, wins! <>
Greg Kesselring wrote:
I would think that the black duct tape would absorb more heat from the sun, so you'd end up with a warmer meal than without the tape.  Passive solar at work, no?GregTrillium 97 wrote:

The black duct tape isn't necessary, unless it makes you feel better.  The food is reconstituted because of your movement and time....