[pct-l] hiking ocompany

Jim and/or Ginny Owen spiriteagle99 at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 17 18:53:57 CST 2007

We're hiking somewhere - I'm just not sure where.  I'd still prefer to go back to Alaska, but if gas goes up to $5 gallon, that won't be possible.  The PCT is one of several options we're looking at.  After reading all the trail closures/burn zones, we will probably wait a few years to go back to the PCT.

Regarding the question about how burns affect planning - besides the fact that it's depressing to walk through mile after mile of burned forest, there are problems with landslides and erosion on the trail and the difficulty finding  a place to set up camp that isn't either covered in ash (messes up the sleeping bag) or under dead trees.  The nice part is the wildflowers: assuming you get rain next spring, burns can be very fertile ground  for wildflowers.

Ginnyhttp://www.spiriteaglehome.com/

Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2007 10:39:05 -0800From: vjl_47 at yahoo.comTo: pct-l at backcountry.netSubject: [pct-l] hiking ocompany

wow, Jim, Ginny & Sly hikin next year...cool.. :) I'll never see ya.. :) leave good notes for us slow newbies!! :)

vera