[pct-l] Dog help

Dena Van Derveer pikahiker at gmail.com
Thu Nov 15 18:52:24 CST 2007

Robert--
Another thing to consider is where -- and when -- you'll be hiking.
There are some long stretches that have NO water... I know I carried
about 12 lb of water (just for ME!) to get  through the 30-mile
stretch on the Hat Creek Rim, not to mention the desert sections.

If you can figure out how to keep your pal hydrated, more power to you
and Lucky. I've talked to equestrians that have done long dry
sections: they've mostly relied upon well-disguised water caches
dropped by friends. If it were me, I wouldn't depend on the
well-advertised trail angel water caches; it's just not worth gambling
your dog's well-being on an empty cache.
--Pika