[pct-l] The Evils of Caffeine :-)

g l gailpl2003 at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 12 20:37:27 CST 2007

Paul-

Well, your household sounds pretty scary ( :-) ), but I applaud your efforts at compromise.

I admit, I've never been a coffee drinker.  Tea was my poison.  So now I enjoy all the same things you mention- including a morning in Idyllwild.  (I love that place!).  But now I enjoy the same things while sipping DECAF tea.  There is no difference in my pleasure factor.  I have learned the hard way to carry my own decaf tea bags with me at all times, since some establishments (and friends homes) have not caught up to the wave yet.

I found out 2 days ago that I'll most likely have to have my gallbladder ripped out- due to gallstones.  I'm convinced it's due to caffeine abuse all those years ago.  So drink up!  As is standard- most people don't change their evil ways until a body organ is headed for the trash can.  By the way, my gallbladder issues started many years ago in the throes of my caffeine use.  I was able to stave it off for about 23 years by getting off the crap.

So- now here's my question.  Are there any hikers out there marching up and down the mountains without their gallbladder?  If so, please drop me a note off list, so as not to take away from "proper" topics.  It's just that I eat english muffins and CHEESE twice a day on trail and want to know if I need to live on a steady diet of Lomotil or anything,  once I kiss the bile bag goodbye.........hehehee

Sorry to insert that in your post Paul.  You understand about us old folks though, aye?

Wheeew

Paul Magnanti <pmags at yahoo.com> wrote:

>>I think getting off of caffeine is one of the things that has increased
>>my energy more than anything else I have done.

A few years ago, my girlfriend and I at the time were (and still are!) very different people.

My idea of meditation is a walk in the woods; she prefers an organized yoga and/or Buddhist retreat.

Though I can eat (and enjoy) much vegetarian cuisine, when push comes to shove, give me a slab of medium-rare
cow to have post-hike.  She rhapsodized over how wonderful seitan(SP?) was.

But were tried to compromise. She'd acknowledge that maybe you can be spiritual without having to do
something organized.  I told her I'd give yoga try as it is great for those large muscle groups.
I'd make yummy veggie meals pulling from bits of cooking memories
from my own childhood (macaroni and beans!), some experimentation (Wow! I actually can make tofu taste great)
or try a recipe (Hmm. Besides too much smut, spam and flamewars..the Innertubes has useful stuff, too!)

Then she brought up coffee. She was concerned.

She read on holistic websites how awful it was. She hinted. She sent me links. The French press in her house
mysteriously vanished.

I will cook and eat, nay relish, tofu dishes. I will put dark chocolate on grandma's wine biscuit recipe (heresy!!!!),  I'll even be quiet
as she says  "mindful and meaningful" phrases before
eating (we called it saying grace. :D), Heck, I'll even agree to peruse one of the plethora of self-help
couples books - many of which feature some bearded guy in a button down sweater.

But take away my coffee?!?!?!?!!??

The dark, rich elixir of life?!?!?!?!? NEVAAAAAH!!!

How many conversations had I had at late night diners when in my 20s, BSing with friends over eggs, homefries
and Maxwell house that somehow seemed to taste so good after a night of carousing?

How many times have I savored a hot cup of joe from a thermos on several glorious backcountry ski days?

Or the memory of drinking an espresso made to perfection. All  while sitting at a caffe' in an off-the-beaten
path village in Italy by the very streets my great-grandad walked?

Then there's the vivid PCT memory of sitting in Idylwild, going to the bakery/coffee shop that was the only
thing open so early in the morning, sipping my hot coffee, eating a cinnamon roll and enjoying
the view of the mountains around me and the sound of *** QUIET ***.

Coffee is more than just a caffeine boost. It is a ritual. Something to savor. A simple pleasure
that brings a simple joy and happiness to life..but is somehow profound because it is so simple.

Maybe it will increase my energy if I gave up coffee. Maybe I'd be healthier if I gave up my burgers
and beer. I'd probably be healthier financially,too, if I hadn't been unemployed (by choice)
so much in the past decade. ;)

But sometimes you have to do things for the pure simple pleasures.

A walk in the mountains. A burger oozing with red juices after a week or more in the backcountry.

And a dark, rich coffee while sitting in camp and watching the rising sun over the mountains.

Tongue mainly (but not all the way) planted in cheek,

Mags

....yep, we really did read a couples self-help book with some bearded guy in a button down sweater.
But I still would not give up my coffee.  ;-)