[pct-l] high-calorie energy bar recipes?

Eddy ewker at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 12 15:27:34 CST 2007

Here is a good one. What is nice is that you can switch out certain items for others. I dropped the prunes and added apples

  This recipe you cook at home and eat on the trail.  On hikes with a short lunch stop, or day hikes without a pack, I bring my own homemade energy bar in my pocket. The taste resembles the oatmeal cookies from the back of the oatmeal box, chewy but crunchy.

  Mix the following dry ingredients thoroughly:
1 ½  cup instant one minute oats
1 cup dried banana chips, chopped fine
½  cup chopped prunes
½ cup chopped apricots
  ½ cup dried chopped pineapple
1 ¼ cup chopped walnuts
1 cup flour
½ cup brown sugar
  ½ cup white sugar
  1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
  3 tablespoons light corn syrup
1 cups pure maple syrup, grade B is best
1/4 cup canola oil

Mix the dry ingredients together first, then mix in the liquid ingredients. Preheat an oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9" by 13" metal cooking pan with PAM. Spread this thick mixture into the pan. Cook 50 to 55 minutes. Cool completely at least an hour. Cut into bars. Freeze the bars in sandwich sized baggies for your lunch or snack. If you cut the pan into 4 large bars, each bar will have 1,044 calories. If you cut the pan into 6 bars, each bar will have 696 calories.

Len Glassner <len5742 at gmail.com> wrote:
  I like the simplicity and time-saving aspects of using bars as a major
part of my hiking diet. But it's hard to find off-the shelf bars that
have a high-enough caloric density (let's say > 125 cal./oz.) to make
me willing to carry them. Power Bar Nut Naturals and Clif Mojo bars
make the cutoff, and can be purchased in volume at OK prices.

I'm wondering if is anyone has a recipe for bars that can be made at
home, and have a verifiable calorie/ounce greater than 125?

Conquest: It is not the Mountain we conquer but Ourselves
http://community.webshots.com/user/ewker

http://mail.yahoo.com