[pct-l] powdered peanut butter

Steel-Eye chelin at teleport.com
Mon Nov 12 08:49:52 CST 2007

Good morning, Merrikay,

I haven't tried the powdered PB, but it sounds interesting .. just the kind of thing I would try.  I would go to the trouble and expense of using it if solved a problem, but fortunately regular, off-the-shelf, PB doesn't show me many problems.  Dehydration is typically used to reduce water-weight, and/or to improve its freshness for storage or transport.  Regular PB has insignificant water so it can't really be dehydrated and, as you mention in your post, the removal of its oil is not an advantage to hikers who need the Calories.  Regular PB seems to have adequate freshness life for most resupply timeframes.  At home I prefer the "natural" PB which I refrigerate, but for the trail I use the name-brands that have preservative additives.

I do regularly use powered cheese, because real, whole cheese does have water and it does get funky after a while.  Powered cheese is easy to pack, handy, durable, and inexpensive.  While it's not as good as real cheese it's essentially the same stuff that's found in packaged macaroni and cheese meals.   When reconstituting powered cheese I use oil if I have it available or usually just water and make up the Calories with something else.

Steel-Eye