[pct-l] No-cook Recipes

Steel-Eye chelin at teleport.com
Sun Nov 11 10:05:39 CST 2007

Good morning, JJ,

I often hike without cooking, or even "heating", and did so for several
months on the PCT this year.  I resupplied mostly from home, and several
homemade items continued to be popular the whole time.  One important item
is beef hamburger jerky. I much prefer 'burger jerky because it is much less
trouble to make, the pieces can be made very consistent in size for good
packing, and it can be easily crumbled into a pot dinner if that's what's on
the menu.  I like to use the low-fat meat because I believe it keeps longer.
Cold, I like eat it with little squeeze-packets of mayonnaise because I like
the flavor and the mayo increases the fat content.

For breakfast I eat homemade granola every day on the trail.  It's high in
calories, dense to pack, and I can eat it right out of the Ziploc while
hiking.   I like to eat various kinds of chips, crackers, and bread
products, and I usually have something to spread on them or something for a
dip.  My favorite spread/dip is reconstituted powdered cheese or powdered
butter.  I carry the powder in snack-size Ziplocs, and at lunchtime I add a
little water or oil, close the sack, and kneed it for a minute or two.  I
then bite off the corner of the Ziploc and squeeze the stuff onto a cracker
or directly into my mouth.  I dehydrate canned refried beans, make it into a
powder and eat it the same way.  It doesn't seem to mix well with oil so I
use only water to reconstitution.  I pack peanut butter the same way, biting
off a corner and squeezing out the contents.  It's easy to get PB into the
Ziplocs.  I melt it, put an open-top Ziploc on the scale, and pour till I
get the measure I want.  I've never had one open up in my food sack.  I
always like homemade trail mix, with lots of nuts, dried fruits, and dark
chocolate chips or M&Ms.

If any of that is of interest to you I can send you the instructions.

Steel-Eye
http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye