[pct-l] gossamer gear: ultralight?

Len Glassner len5742 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 8 14:40:51 CST 2007

I have a Mariposa Plus I bought this past Spring.

The first time around the block with it, it turned my shirt and pants
back purple.  This issue is noted in 'Advisory #1' on their website.

On day two of my TRT hike, the large side pocket, where I had my
2-liter Platy and in-line filter, tore about a one-inch hole.  I don't
know how it happened, I didn't have any rough encounters with
branches, perhaps the stress on the pocket did it.  GG advised me that
it can't be repaired.  They suggested putting duct tape on the tear.
It has not shown an inclination to tear more, so far.

I recently noticed that the elastic banding on the top of the back
mesh pocket was separating from the mesh.  This is described in
'Advisory #2'.  I will probably send it  back for repair as they
suggest, but that means being without the pack for three weeks, hence
no training walks for same.  Poor me.

I'm irritated about the issues I've had.  I really wish the mesh
pocket could somehow be replaced.  But I'll probably buy another one,
so I can keep walking while the other one is being fixed.  $150.
Grrr.

What I pariticularly like about the pack is the use of the .2 oz.
frame stays.  I think this makes for better weight transfer to the
hips.

There is not a nicer person on the planet than Grant at Gossamer Gear.