[pct-l] gossamer gear: ultralight?

Karen Somers kborski at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 8 13:13:31 CST 2007

Dave,

I carried a Gossamer Gear pack on my PCT thru-hike, other smaller hikes and on the CDT this year, and I LOVE it.  I wouldn't hike with any other pack now (I also love my Dana but it's a full 4.5 lbs heavier with no comfort advantage unless I'm carrying over 50 lbs).  I actually carried my GG G4 through the Sierras with 50 lbs in it at the outset (way overloaded).  It pulled at the waist too much and hurt my stomach a bit; I just took more breaks the first few heaviest days.  With proper weight in it-- 30 lbs or less-- it always performed excellent and finished its first long distance trail with only one small hole in the back where I fell backwards and landed on a sharp rock.  I have since purchased a new G4 just because I wanted to start my next thru-hike with something "new," plus the newer versions are even lighter and more comfortable (wider shoulder straps) than the original G4.  After the PCT, I took that same pack on other trips totalling 1200
 miles.  Still no real wear and tear after all that time.  I have a good friend who carried her G4 (which is not really designed to last more than one thru-hike of a long distance trail) on the PCT, then took it to Central America for four months for non-hiking "backpacking," where it probably went through a lot more banging around and hard use than it did on the trail.  And yet, she still reported it to be in good shape except for two small tears that she sewed up herself.

If you use the GG packs, I strongly recommend trying them with the Z-rest sleeping pad inside the pack against your back instead of in the pockets on the outside of the pack directly against your back.  Myself and most others I know find this much more comfortable and stable.  I also recommend using the foam inserts that come with the pack as optional instead of stuffing the shoulder pads and hip belt with extra clothes.  It's more comfortable and way more convenient and hardly adds any weight.  Also, by the time I cut off the external Z-rest pockets on the back of the pack and many of the extra loops I didn't use (plus the pull tie on the top), the pack was down to an incredible12 ounces.  No one can beat the space, comfort, design (those mesh pockets are wonderful) and weight of Gossamer Gear's packs.  Not to mention that the owner/founder of the company has repeatedly offered personal customer service and support, including tracking me down at the
 ADZPCTKO to find out how the pack is faring each year.

Obviously, I could go on a long time about Gossamer Gear.  I've used several other pieces of gear from them (they have the best, strongest and lightest pack liners on the market) with absolutely no issues or complaints.  You just can't say that about many other companies.  I don't understand why there aren't more G4 devotees on the long trails.

Nocona

http://mail.yahoo.com