[pct-l] Southern Monument

Donna Saufley dsaufley at sprynet.com
Mon Nov 5 15:46:03 CST 2007

To all interested in replacing the southern monument:

I spoke to Suzanne Wilson about this.  Replacement of the monument(s) IS on
the PCTA’s list of things to do.  It’s a long list along with many other
very important things.  They will address the needs on the list as resources
permit, including the terminus replacements.

The following are my comments, not Suzanne’s:  If you really want to see
things get done, such as replacing the monuments, volunteer and GIVE, as in
monetary contributions, to the PCTA.  Be aware that simply dealing with
volunteer groups wanting to make improvements requires resources.  And,
while there may be a group of people all worked up about the condition of
the monument, the PCTA may be fighting to save the trail from many other
more serious threats (power lines, housing developments, and OHV damage to
name just a few).

Per a letter sent to PCTA members, the PCTA has an opportunity to earn the
largest grant in their history.  If they can “raise $174,000 in donations by
the end of 2007, the PCTA will earn a grant of $504,796 from the U.S. Forest
Service for volunteer programs, trail management, and communications.”

In other words, every dollar contributed to the PCTA by December 31, 2007
will raise three dollars from the USFS. They’ve already raised about half of
the money, but need to make the target by year end.

So if you really want to see the monuments fixed or replaced, help the PCTA
get the monetary resources they so desperately need.

L-Rod

   _____