[pct-l] Southern Terminus

Bighummel at aol.com Bighummel at aol.com
Sun Nov 4 15:40:33 CST 2007

I went down there yesterday and took some picts.  The tallest post is  split
with a vertical crack about 3/4 of an inch wide and a couple feet  long.  The
shortest one is deeply degraded with dry rot on top.   Two of the post are
fairly solid in foundation while two are clearly  rotted.  I would wager that it
could last, considering the dry weather,  another year or two, PROVIDED that
no idiot tries to push it over or  intentionally damage it.

As for the idea of making it out of basalt columns, the Whitewater Rock  Co.,
sells these and has the capability of laser cutting these in almost any
design.  I don't know what the cost of this, but then the additional cost  of
transporting these and digging deep holes and setting them in with a crane,  could
be enormous.

I just bought a one ton rock from them (I'm a geologist, okay?) and it cost
me about $400 to have it delivered.  I would imagine three or four times or
more to deliver basalt columns to the border.

I'll post an invite to the list for the photos from my Picasa web album  site.

Greg "Strider" Hummel