[pct-l] Horsethieves and the PCT

Home jeffreyn at sonic.net
Sun Nov 4 10:25:01 CST 2007

I used to think there was a delicious scandal in my family history, what
else explained why my great-grandfather would have left one of the most
prosperous and cosmopolitan cities in western Europe in the late 19th
Century to emmigrate to a dirt-farming, coal mining and culturally
isolated colony in America?  Was it sex (did he knock up a princess)?
Religion (the pogroms were in full swing)?  Politics (always a fertile
field, but then why didn't he appear on our shores as a true anarchist
instead of the guy who worked his way up diligently so he could afford, in
1897, a gold pocket watch which I now have, complete with that year's
calendar?)?

Of course all the records were burned in 1944.  A little instability Over
There, y'know.

Then, one day the television revealed a bunch of students dancing atop the
Berlin wall.  And a few weeks later one of them was in our living room,
through various social connections.  I ran my theory out to him.  He
laughed.  Nothing so complex, almost assuredly.  After Metternich came
Bismark.  As Germany rose in stature and was consolidated, the feudal
landlords were dispossessed.  Their serfs, those who could, fled to the
Big City, where at least they would starve a little more slowly.  And the
lucky ones jumped on the first boat out of there.

Not sex.  Not religion.  Not politics.  Just money.

Damnit.

I am now officially O.T.  While I'm there (what the hey), rent "Golden
Door," a fascinating fictional depiction of late 19th-Century/early
20th-Century immigration through Ellis Island.  Maybe your scoundrel
ancestor was there, too.

--
I'm through with love
I'll never fall again.