[pct-l] Hiking in Southern California

AsABat AsABat at 4Jeffrey.Net
Fri Nov 2 14:58:44 CDT 2007

>> Check before you go. Heading north from WS puts you in the Cleveland NF
>> which is closed. The first 8 miles south is Vista Irrigation District
>> land - status unknown but I know they're worried about fires in their
>> watershed. Further south is BLM land which is also closed.

> That may be so, but no one would know unless very well-informed people
> tell them.

Good point, Tom. Here's the official word as of yesterday from
http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/cleveland/news/2007/11/closure-extended.shtml
(Generally I am totally anti-closures but this one I fully support.)

----------

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

San Diego, CA - November 1, 2007...To protect public health and safety,
the Cleveland National Forest (Cleveland NF) has extended the closure of
National Forest Service lands and recreation facilities. The closure,
which went into effect October 22, will continue through the end of the
fire emergency. The use of Cleveland NF recreation facilities, lands,
roads, or trails is prohibited. Violators are subject to fines and/or
imprisonment. For additional information, visit
www.fs.fed.us/r5/cleveland.
...Most county roads and state highways will remain open to through traffic.