[pct-l] Food Options

jeff.singewald at comcast.net jeff.singewald at comcast.net
Sun May 20 22:53:42 CDT 2007

Daniel,

Glad to hear that you are taking your first trip out on the PCT.  I'm willing to bet you are going to have an incredible journey.  You will hear many different opinions on this list, but when someone shares an opinion like:

"You're making a classic first-timer's mistake, and practically guaranteeing that your hike will fail (assuming you're thru-hiking,"

Take it for what it's worth.  It is only one opinion.  Bill has no clue as to your ability and to state that you are practically guaranteeing that your hike will fail is complete BS.  Last year, I purchased nearly 3 months of food supplies in advance for my thru-hike and would not have changed a thing.  This strategy worked very well for me.  I did a lot of research prior to my hike and found 12 dehydrated/freeze-dried dinners from Mary Jane Farms and Alpine Aire that I enjoyed.  I had no problems coordinating my resupplies so that I rarely ate the same people more than once every twelve days.

Don't worry about making first-timer mistakes... you will learn from them and you will be better for it.  Take our advise for what it's worth but in the long run, do what you think is best, and throw up the finger to anyone that suggests that your hike is practically guarnateed to fail simply because you are not doing the hike the way that they would do it.

Elevator

From: "William Skaggs" <weskaggs at primate.ucdavis.edu>