[pct-l] stoveless ideas?

Francis Tapon ft at francistapon.com
Sat Mar 31 12:20:36 CDT 2007

Chigger: I didn't take a stove on the PCT, but I could still cook!

1. Push 3-4 tarp stakes into the dirt so that you can rest your pot on top
of the stakes.

2. Slide a small piece of aluminum foil in the center of your stakes so it
will be centered under your pot. (You can put a bigger piece and make a
built-in wind screen).

3. Place an Esbit tablet on the foil.

4. Light it.

5. Place the pot on top of stake platform.

6. Enjoy!

The advantage of this method is that you don't carry a stove--you just carry
fuel (i.e., the Esbit tablets).

Another advantage is that you can choose a safe location so that you don't
accidentally start a forest fire. Unlike alcohol stoves, Esbits burn in a
very controlled fashion.

One safe place to do this is in an established fire ring. The advantage of
that is that you can throw small twigs to supplement the Esbit fire.

Happy Stoveless Cooking! :-)

Francis Tapon
Check out my 2 minute video: http://tinyurl.com/yyzdbo
Learn about my book, Hike Your Own Hike: 7 Life Lessons from Backpacking
Across America, at: http://www.FrancisTapon.com