[pct-l] How many pounds of food?

The Mountain Goat themtgoat at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 29 23:34:58 CDT 2007

Bill;

I did it in 1 1/2 to 2 LB, and of course a good number of resupply points. The Sierras were the probably the point that I needed the most food. The Higher altitude, colder weather, extra calories for going through snow and the elevation changes forced me to take more food, to the tune of 22 LB's when I left Kennedy Meadows! Some people don't take enough food, and drop out at Kersarge Pass, other of course planned it that way. I actually caught up to my favorite group because they had to take an emergency resupply out of Kersarge Pass.

On that section, I took almost 2 LB's of food a day. I ate almost every Marcel. and probably would have if the boat at VVR was any later that morning.

Most people take more food, so please take that in mind. While your on the trail, you may have to adjust your eating intake. While I was fairly close, I found that I was a little shy on lunches, and had my Mom add a little more food to the remaining resupply boxes. It worked out very well for me, but I was a skinny 136LB 5'8" 39 year old hiker. If you are a larger or taller person, please plan accordingly.

It also of course, depends on how much calories your particular body requires. I met someone "mystic" who had to have 3 LB of food every day. Was skinny as a rail, and couldn't afford to lose any more. If your carrying some extra weight, and can rely on it, then yes, you can take less food. But on a thru-hike, remember you will probably burn through it before you get to Kennedy Meadows.

You can bulk up when you get to resupply points. I did, and it worked for me. It is common for thru hikers to gain a few pounds while in town as they eat high calorie foods, as they prepare for the next section. That may work for you as well.

Yet one more thing to think of is how strong of a hiker you are. Virtually everyone will be in excellent shape when they finish the trail. But the first few weeks, there will be a building up as you hike along. I tried to get in great shape before the hike in 2005, but only managed to get up to 20 mile day hikes. That put me about 2/3 in full shape for the hike. 3 weeks later I tried a 20 mile day, and got of course to lake Morena (-spelling). Mostly my problem feet were like jello.

A few days in the teens, allowed the 3 of us to build up and start hiking more into the twenties, and a couple weeks later, more in the 30 mile days, depending on the terrain. The reason I bring up your hiking speed, is that means you may need to allow for more food at the beginning, in case you aren't pulling the mileage you had planned on.

The Sierra's will slow you down. I think virtually everyone was doing 15 mile days till we got to Yosemite. If you go South bound, and don't have any snow to deal with, or in this case, a dry year, you may be able to go a little faster.

hope that helps... Enjoy your hike, I loved mine, and want to go again!!!!!

thru hiking is addicting.
-Mountain Goat-
Next hike? 2014?

Bill Batchelor
     Mon Mar 26 20:57:12 CST 2007

Could I get a roll call on food quantity.  I tend to eat less food when
hiking than what statistics hold.  I know the statistics for the trail are
from 2-3 pounds of food per day.  I know the type of food and its possible
water content can alter that number.  Using standard hiking fair though,
does the average (really I'd like the mode, but let's not get crazy) come in
closer to two or three.

Can you tell I am at my packing of food phase?

BillB