[pct-l] Gear Weights

Amanda Luff trail_bubbletoes at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 28 21:07:55 CDT 2007

" And a sleeping bag compartment is a "must" to me.
I hate the idea of digging through my entire pack every night to get to
my sleeping gear. It just sounds like too much work at the end of a long
day.  "

Any decent weight pack will have done away with that feature for 2 reasons -
1) it is unnecessary weight  2) it leaves random pockets of air that don't
let you pack as efficiently.

I too thought this was a 'must'.  But think about it.  You are hiking.  You
will not have that much stuff to did through.  Your tent will be up before
you need your bag.  Your food with have to come out wether to eat it or hang
it.  Same for toiletries.  If it's cold you will be wearing your clothes, if
not they will probably be your pillow.  As a thru hiker you won't have all
that much left in your pack when you go to pull out your bag.  I never
missed that feature I thought I HAD to have.

My original Osprey Ariel 75 with super suspension and sleeping bag
compartment now sits sadly alone in its corner.  Where once I thought "how
am I going to fit it all in", now I think "how am I ever going to fill that
thing up" (and want to carry all that weight)  My Granite Gear Vapor Ki is
my pack of choice - for a bad back try the next level up of theirs

Its not wrong to want that extra feature, but when you have to carry it for
many days your perspective changes.   I'm with you on the sleeping cold
thing.  If you can just shell out the big bucks for a Western
Mountaineering.  The more you look at gear the lighter you will think of as
being the normal weight for an item.

Bubble Toes