[pct-l] Gear Weights

Bob Bankhead wandering_bob at comcast.net
Wed Mar 28 18:06:13 CDT 2007

Roni:

Suggestion - Stay away from GI Joes' camping gear. Most of it is aimed at car campers who won't venture very far beyond the campground. I would rate its overall quality as fairly low.

Sleeping bag: please tell us what temperature range you think you'll need to cover. Bear in mind that a sleeping SYSTEM only starts with the sleeping bag. It also includes a significant part of your clothing system as well, especially your primary insulating layer. Other parts can include a bag liner, bivy, or overbag. This allows you to carry a lighter weight, higher temperature rated bag and to supplement it with parts of your clothing system when the temperature drops below your bag's rating. When it gets warm, use only the bag, unzipped as needed for ventilation. The 0° down bag that you love when it's below freezing becomes an unnecessarily heavy sauna when it's 65° at night. For a great comparison of bags by manufacturer, see Backpacking.net's chart at  (http://www.backpacking.net/gearbag-chart.html)

Pack:  the last item you should buy because it has to carry all the gear you've already bought and decided to carry. Comfortable, light weight packs are made by Brian Frankle at ULA Equipment (http://www.ula-equipment.com/)  and Ron Moak at Six Moon Designs (http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/). You can find numerous threads on this and other forums debating ad nauseum on which is better.

Tents: - another source of ad nauseum debates on the forums. Two top contenders among through- and long-distance hikers are (again) Six moon Designs and Henry Shire's Tarptents (http://www.tarptent.com/index.html). REI also rents tents (and other gear) which would allow you to "try before you buy", although the scope of their rental inventory is limited. REI also has the best no-hassel return policy out there; no time limits; just keep your receipt.

Conspicously absent from this discussion is Gossamer Gear (http://www.gossamergear.com/), only because you are just starting out. GG makes excellent ultra-light gear, but you really need to know how to take care of it and have the wilderness experience to know when and how to use it and be able to recognize and adjust for what you're trading off for the light weight.

Wandering Bob