[pct-l] Light Weight Umbrella

Francis Tapon ft at francistapon.com
Wed Mar 28 17:12:31 CDT 2007

BillB and Switchback were both right about the GoLite umbrella's weight.

The old GoLite Chrome Dome (which I used on the PCT in 2006) is 10oz.

The new GoLite Chrome Dome (which I now have for 2007) is 7.8oz, according
to my digital scale.

GoLite redesigned the Dome in 2007 so that the handle is about 50% the size
(and weight) as the old model. They got a new manufacturer and it's lighter
than ever.

More importantly, the circumference is the same as the old and it is cut so
that it curves down a bit providing maximum coverage.

The Montbell is lighter, but far smaller and doesn't have a reflective
surface.

I have the SnowPeak umbrella and the design is much more flimsy than the
Chrome Dome. It's made of silnylon and because it collapses to a small size
it has many places it can break. I could easily bend and snap the Snowpeak
shaft, but I would have a much harder time doing that with the Chrome Dome.

Having tested many umbrellas, I would recommend the new Chrome Dome.

Stay dry and in the shade,

Francis Tapon
Check out my 2 minute video: http://tinyurl.com/yyzdbo
Learn about my book, Hike Your Own Hike: 7 Life Lessons from Backpacking
Across America, at: http://www.FrancisTapon.com