[pct-l] Do the math - Packing a Bear Canister

Tom Reynolds tomreynolds_ilan at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 24 00:56:57 CDT 2007

Scott,

  Obviously, you didn't read what I wrote. You need way less than 9 days of food. Plus you filled up your diet with sugar. Try recalculating with fat like peanut butter.

  The process is simple

  You simply:
  1. Bear bag where legal
  2. Use the bear boxs where legal
  3. Use the food in the canisters between North of Woods Creek and VVR.

  It is so simple anyone can do it. A canister contains 40 cups of food. That is more than enough food  to make the non-bear box portion of the JMT ( 1 day north of Woods Creek to the freey to VVR) Even fat old me could do it. Would you like to BET a substantial sum (say six figures) that I could go from Kennedy Meadows to VVR legally with only 1 bear canister? If so put your money where your mouth is!!

  If you can't walk as far as fat, old me simply use an expedition bearicade with 1/3 more room than normal (53 cups) and weighs only 2# 3 oz.

  Lots of people hike the entire JMT on one canister with ZERO food outside.

  I really have a problem with you misrepresenting my posts. You are entitled to your opinion but don't misrepresent MY post.

  Tom

stillroaming <pct at delnorteresort.com> wrote:
  Consider the following:
+ 9 days food needed
+ 4500-6000 calories a day
+ 700 cubic inch canister (large):

If you filled the canister up with processed white sugar, you would would
get 4150 calories per day

If you filled the canister with 1/3 Canola Oil and 2/3 Sugar, you would get
6163 calories per day.

Obviously, as thru-hikers have experienced in the past, one canister is not
enough. It's not what you cram into the canister that counts, it's the
calories that go in it. "A days worth of food" is highly variable and
dependent on the type of hiking you do.

I want to see someone cram 40,500 calories (4,500 for 9 days) of power bars
into a bear can. That's 175 power bars @ 230 calories per bar!

In my opinion, Tom has just highlighted why canisters are not practical for
most thru-hikers. What you'll find people doing is putting part of their
food in a canister and keep the rest in a plastic bag or stuff sack. Besides
showing Mr. Ranger your canister and avoiding a ticket, what have you
achieved?

If you're going to continue to cram canisters down or throats, you'd better
make it 2 canisters.

Notes:
1 cup of sugar = 770 calories
1 cup of canola oil = 1927 calories