[pct-l] FIRES IN GENERAL -- was Denatured alcohol...

christin pruett christinpruett at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 22 15:36:30 CDT 2007

One shouldn't forget that fire is a natural part of all ecosystems. It is
the knee jerk reaction of 100 plus years of fire suppression that has caused
many of the problems associated with wildfire. For more info check out:

http://home.vicnet.net.au/~iffa/fire1.htm
http://www.coastal.ca.gov/fire/ucsbfire.html
http://www.suttoncenter.org/2006%20Reinking%20Birding.pdf

That being said fire should be used as a management tool and carefully
controlled so it doesn't cause loss of property or life.

I hiked California in 2004 and was about 2 weeks behind the hiker started
fire. I was pretty happy with my choice to eat cold until the High Sierra.
Because as was stated below - the wind can blow really, really hard in
southern California and I could see a fire getting away from even the most
careful hiker when a gust of 30 or 40mph comes along.

Good luck class of '07 especially you Monty! (I hiked with Monty for about a
month in 2004 and I seem to recall that he carried a bear proof container
through the Sierra???).

Oh and just wanted to thank you L-Rod and your hubby for being the best
trail angels on either coast. Hope everyone has a great summer of adventure
and that any fires started are prescribed burns.

Christy