[pct-l] consternation with fire

jape at nethere.com jape at nethere.com
Thu Mar 22 09:51:39 CDT 2007

Quoting Mark Jernigan <footslogger03 at yahoo.com>:

> am I the only one a bit surprized at all the consternation over denatured
> alcohol.  <snip> (I) never knew it was such a sensitive subject.

Speaking for myself, a San Diego County resident, it's not denatured alcohol
as a fuel for fire that's a sensitive subject, but the the fire itself.  I
suppose a person focused on a hike is living in the moment, with little
thought except eat, sleep, and hike on.  Even when hiking through the many
burn areas along the trail (and this year is going to be a lulu), it must
be tough to extrapolate a civic perspective to cook safe other than one
that goes beyond, "If I tip over my stove, my dinner will be cold."

But accidents happen.  And when fire accidents happen, so does lots of bad
stuff as well.  In 2003, in San Diego, some of the bad stuff was that more
than 200,000 acres turned to charcoal, more than 2,000 homes became rubble,
and sixteen people died.  Because of a fire accident.

On a more hiker related note, in 2004, hikers south of Big Bear had an
accident.  Jenny's journal,
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=65547  , tells her perspective,
and Datto's journal,  http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=66727  ,
tells about the consequenses to the hikers themselves from the same fire.

Fire should be a sensitive subject.  May all who hike this year have a safe
hike.

Eckert