[pct-l] Relocating bad critters

ed faubert edfaubert at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 21 14:03:56 CDT 2007

I was recently in the Grand Cayon with Gottogo, Switchback and a few others and saw the relocation of their own "bad boys".... these two have been harassing me and others for the last three years.... Most parks have signs not to 'Molest or harass" the fauna but not her in the canyon.... it was OK to toss rocks at them and to throw dirt in their eyes too!  Well these bad boys have some bigger larger critters they must avoid at night in the canyon, but they have free rain in the daylight.........Having made about 12 trips to phantom ranch the past few years i saw the results of the interaction between these "bad boys" and us and it was only getting worse.... little kids chased up the trail in broad daylight and woman escaping into the restrooms in fear.....Plans were made to catch them and relocate them but the weather was much too cold so the NPS had to wait til warmer weather and so cages were assembled down to the ranch where the boys soon were going in and out of them too
 w/out fear...... what to do .........what to do ,  wait til someone loses an eye too?
  Then one cold Feb day one more tourist was attacked and now the NPS said "that's it" begone!!!!! cold weather or not they were led once more into the cages but ahha this time the door snapped shut and the boys  within minutes were flown up out of the canyon, right above our heads too............
  Moral of this story.... don't feed the stupid turkeys you stupid human turkeys!
  Meadow Ed