[pct-l] Kinda like a bear canister?

c.engberg at cox.net c.engberg at cox.net
Wed Mar 21 00:04:24 CDT 2007

On March 20 Ben Gunderson wrote:
"...i'm putting all my food in his saddle bags, he isn't that good of a dog
anyways."

Even without this comment I would recommend you first off don't take your
dog on a through hike and if you do especially don't make him carry all of
YOUR food. I often take my dog hiking- at most allow them to carry their
own food and water (though their bodies aren't really designed to carry
weight). Also domesticated dogs simply are not meant to to high-milage
days required for a thruhike especially with the extremes (mostly heat) of
the trail and excess weight. Think of them first. Did they decide to travel the
trail? Make it easy on them and carry all (or nearly all) of the weight and
they will provide companionship second-to-none on the trail.

After reading the second part of your comment I am not going to ask but
simply tell you: DO NOT TAKE YOUR DOG ON YOUR THRU HIKE. I
mean what exactly did you mean by that? When a bear comes in in search
they can simply maul your dog (with your food strapped to his back who's
probably trying to protect you) instead of a having a bear canister? That is
one of the most disappointing things I have ever heard on this list.

-Chris