[pct-l] Fw: bear canisters Complex problem...More confused

Bob Bankhead wandering_bob at comcast.net
Tue Mar 20 17:46:51 CDT 2007

OK, so you get a map precisely outlining where cannisters are required and where they aren't. Now what? Unless you can adjust your daily mileage to assure you will never need to camp in a "canister required" area, what's the point in all this? And how do you plan to convince the rangers that your map is truely correct and that no, you really don't need a canister here when they think and say you do? Good luck.

Every year this topic gets beaten to death. Avoid the hassels. Carry the darn canister from Kennedy Meadows (or Trail Pass if you re-supply in Lone Pine) all the way to Sonora Pass.

We can rant and rave all we want about it , but the canister requirement is only going to expand in the Sierras. Tourists, weekenders, and car campers far outnumber the thruhikers, and the Federales are on a mission from God to protect us from ourselves. God forbid they should reduce the resident bear population to the level the available acreage could support naturally.