[pct-l] JMT Unsupported Speed Record?

Deems losthiker at sisqtel.net
Mon Mar 19 18:40:52 CDT 2007

Reinhold holds the current unsupported JMT Backpacker record. The definition
of "unsupported" means carrying all your gear and food from the beginning to
the end, accepting nothing, no reloads, no caches, and not even a token
offer of a handful of gorp or berry picking along the way. Of course this
requires a certain level of honor, to hold the record, and to abide by the
rules. Not only has Reinhold set the record,  by doing it his way, he has
set the rules for which this unsupported record is decided. You can carry
50lbs or no pounds, just accept no help or food from anyone, except a cheer,
a greeting, and a salute along the way. The JMT is defined as Happy Isle to
the Summit of Mt Whitney. Reinhold has chosen as his starting point as Mt
Whitney, but starting at Yosemite is ok, but I don't know where the official
end of the JMT is in Yosemite. Reinhold starts at the click of midnight each
time. His current record set in 2004 (at the age of 62) stands at 5days,
7hours, 15minutes and he welcomes anyone to enjoy the John Muir Trail at any
pace they choose.  He knows that another hiker will carry the record soon;
but if someone wants the record, he is both the judge, and their greatest
supporter.

This is  when I first met him near Lake Wanda in 2005, during one of his
record improvement attempts. I was hiking the JMT, and it took me
17days..which is my personal record.
 http://www.pbase.com/losthiker/image/55594214
http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/outdoors/20030929-9999_mz1s29outdor.html

~~~~~~~~~
I have seen a number of posts periodically that have discussed the
unsupported speed records for a JMT thru-hike on this list.  I have been
considering this recently and would like to do some preliminary
investigation and planning.  Can anyone provide some information on the
following:

What is the official record?

What does unsupported mean?  Can I use a food drop or re-supply (either at
Muir TR or Reds Meadow)  or do I need to pack all food from start to finish?

If I start from the south, do I start at the summit of Mt. Whitney or
Whitney Portal?  I presume this would be the summit but I wanted to check to
be certain.

How does one certify the start and end time?

Are there any official "rules" for such a stunt?  I know Reinhold has held
the record several times, but I have never seen any official rules of any
sort.

Really just exploring this at this point so any info the trail community
would be willing to share would be appreciated.

Elevator