[pct-l] Testing the waters

Eric Lee (GAMES) elee at microsoft.com
Sun Mar 18 03:56:28 CDT 2007

Glen Winters wrote:

If some of you experienced peeps could give a few sugestions it would be appreciated.

You'll probably get a lot of advice; I'll just hit a few things that came to mind immediately.

Regarding pads, I'd normally recommend a self-inflating model.  The Thermarest Prolight models are almost as light as foam pads.  The only problem is the abundance of thorns in Southern California.  Carrying two foam pads might be difficult from a volume standpoint; they're very bulky.

Regarding packs, I agree with you - my body requires a pack with a decent suspension system and hip belt.  However, there are several good choices in the two-pound range.  For example, the Granite Gear Vapor Trail is exactly two pounds, has a very nice harness, and is popular among thru-hikers.

You should consider using hiking poles.  Those of us with less than bomb-proof bodies generally find they make a huge difference.  But if you hate them, then don't force yourself.

Regarding clothes, cotton is generally frowned on for the reasons you're already aware of.  One exception is in the desert where cotton clothes can help maximize the benefit of your sweat.  I don't care for shorts much either; I like the protection from sun, bugs, brush, and dirt that pants give me.  You should try some lightweight Supplex nylon pants and shirts.  They're lightweight and dry quickly but are still tough.  I have the REI Sahara pants and shirt, but there are many others out there too.

Eric
Seattle, WA