[pct-l] The Jokester

Hiker97 at aol.com Hiker97 at aol.com
Thu Mar 15 23:11:02 CDT 2007

_jape at nethere.com_ (mailto:jape at nethere.com)  writes:

Switchback was hiking down the PCT all in a tizzy.  It was getting  dark and
he couldn't find a flat space to pitch his tent.  Fearing that  he'd have to hi
ke long into the night, never getting his supper or his beauty  sleep, he
cast his eyes to heaven and said,  "Lord take pity on  me.   If you find me a
camp site, I'll let those strong willed women  leader types boss me around, and
I'll give up all my piratical  ways."

Miraculously, a gorgeous campsite appeared through a break in  the trees,
just off the trail.  Switchback looked up again and said,  "Never mind, I found
one."
I have to admit, that was pretty  funny .... and true.  But Terminator Female
Leadership types are a definite  cause for concern for the typical
happy-go-lucky innocent male backpacker.   They can be liquid metal cutting machines.
They can change their emotions  from benign indifference to attack mode in an
instant.  At the April  Kickoff pirate table we will have perimeter defenses
and guard dogs to alert on  their presence.  But the more advanced models are
harder to  detect.

Strangely, pirate flags seem to  have a neutralizing affect on them.  I will
keep some miniature flags  near me at all times to protect myself at the
Kickoff.  This  worked at on the recent Grand Canyon expedition when four
Terminators and I were  sharing a cabin at Phantom Ranch.  I was alone and scared in
the next  bunk room and heard them giggling and talking in a low voices --- an
attack  was imminent.  I was praying that a armed law enforcement Ranger would
soon do a bed check. I placed some flags on the a joining door and survived
the night.  Once again, the crafty Trail Pirate survived to hike another  day
after a close call and escape.  Hurray for the Trail  Pirate!