[pct-l] The Herd is a FACT...

Slyatpct at aol.com Slyatpct at aol.com
Thu Mar 15 09:18:09 CDT 2007

gwtmp01 at mac.com writes:

The  smaller the deviation, the higher the peak.  Personally I find it
hard  to believe that an event that has 'Kickoff' in its title could
*not*  compress the distribution.

Yeah but I noticed it didn't stop you from starting that weekend.   Look I
don't have the answers.  I've been trying to tell you from a  thru-hiker
standpoint  why I think it's the best starting time regardless  of the Kick Off.  I
also believe, if it were all possible, and you assigned  300 hikers to 10 per
day from mid April to mid May it would prevent the  herd effect.  Thanks to
different hiking paces, towns, hostels, zero  days, weather, and social aspects,
eventually hikers are going to clump.

Last word on the topic fron me.  IMO, detractors can call for the  abolition
of the KO, but it's not going to change anything considerably.

Sly
http://www.aol.com.