[pct-l] Clumps, herds and where to find them...

Pea Hicks phix at optigan.com
Wed Mar 14 23:26:00 CDT 2007

stillroaming wrote:
> Hey Pea,
>
> To answer your question directly, no I would not.

ok then, let's put aside the weather pattern argument get to your true
agenda.

> Here are my concerns:
>
> I have a problem with the few imposing their will on the many.

is anyone being forced to attend the kickoff? where does it say at the
adz website that "you must attend or die?" last time i checked, folks
hiking the trail are quite well capable of making their own decisions
whether or not to attend. they even have a portion of the website
devoted to reasons why you might NOT want to attend.

  I have a
> problem with a 400-600 person gathering situated directly on the trail.

do you have a problem with the fact that the trail itself is routed
directly through a handful of towns that contain more people than that?

> I have a problem with celebrating the beginning of a wilderness journey
> by developing the trail to do so (even for 3 days, not to mention the
> irony)

the campground at lake morena was already "developed" long before the adz.

  Most of all, I have a problem with those who know damn well they
> are affecting the trail/hikers and intentionally misdirect that fact
> because it serves their glory and not the Pacific Crest Trail.

and your proof of that is...? have you ever been to the adz? have you
ever had a one-on-one, face-to-face chat with its organizers? do you
accuse, say, the saufleys of seeking the same sort of "glory" that you
suspect the adz organizers of seeking?

> This event is not in the best interest of the Pacific Crest Trail or
> those who hike it. Maybe the hand selected vendors, though.

i hiked the pct last year. i've attended the kickoff every year since
2003. i deem it to have been in my best interest, so do not speak for
me, thank you.

as for the vendors, last year i received nothing but FREE (yes,
really!!! no picking MY "thru-wallet!") service from companies that i
had previously found and bought from online, far away from the kickoff.

> The patterns are documented before the ADZ (see Donna's post) and the
> current patterns are documented.

show me your documentation.

> Folks can choose to 'believe' whatever they want, to suit their needs.
> The facts are what they are.

show me your documented facts. obviously you've done a scientific study.

girlscout