[pct-l] Herd on the AT

Slyatpct at aol.com Slyatpct at aol.com
Wed Mar 14 18:42:21 CDT 2007

pdhoffma at swbell.net writes:

I  remember looking at the AT website several years ago when earlier years
statistics were still available.   It was the publication of  Bryson's book
that was mostly responsible for a big spike which has been  tapering down.
Bryson's book was published in 1999 and was on the best  seller list, maybe number
1 for awhile.  In 2000 there were supposedly  over 2900 starters, which was
something like double the year before, as I  remember.
Do you seriously think the majority of hikers that year read the book  before
only a year before and thought, "Hey, I'm going to hike the AT just like  a
failed Bill Bryson?"

The numbers increased leading up to 2000 well before the book came  out.  But
perhaps you're right, we'll see once the movie comes out.   IMO, even the
ever popular AT needs new blood.

Sly

http://www.aol.com.