[pct-l] Words about the HERD

dsaufley at sprynet.com dsaufley at sprynet.com
Tue Mar 13 17:20:20 CDT 2007

The greatest benefit to an event further north and later in the season is that it wouldn't be a starting point -- people would come to it from points north or south depending on where they are, just as they do for Trails Days in Damascus. That is a model that has worked extremely well. It would leave everyone to start when their schedule permits, or their ideas about the best time to start depending on the snow in any given year.  Yes, there will always be a natural peak to the season, but I'm telling the truth when I say that the intensity of the peak and the narrowness of the window in which it hits changed dramatically as the KO grew in attendance and popularity.  I didn't think it would be so hard to get people to believe me about the correlation, though.

Lone Pine would be perfect, with so many trail passes in and out of the Sierras, and easy access along 395 -- rides would be easy to provide.  Tahoe certainly has the facilities and the appeal for a reunion and hiker party.  Plus, they're trying real hard to launch an event in Tahoe, that hasn't yet caught on with the PCT thru-hikers.  Could be a win all the way around.

The KO literally forces people to start around it.  People trying to avoid the herd are leaving a week or so ahead and unfortunately getting swallowed by the front runners of those leaving closer to the KO weekend itself.  It's no fun being too close behind the herd, as caches are empty, store shelves can be out of food items, and the folks that you encounter along the way were rumored to be burnt out last year by those behind the pack.

So, I think a mid-point party has big advantages over a starting point party for so, so many reasons.

L-Rod