[pct-l] Stream is low just out of Warner Springs

arm chair armchairhiker at gmail.com
Mon Mar 12 00:41:38 CDT 2007

Hi All,

We went out for a bit on the PCT going north just outside of Warner Spring,
Aqua Caliente. While the water was not hot, it was very low - almost got the
bottoms of my shoes wet. No really, crossed the stream near the road by
walking across the wet sand. The flow was much better about 3 miles up.
Great places to camp if for some reason you decide not indulge in the Spa at
Warner Springs.

I did stop by the Spa and took a tour - great place and great rates for a
room, I will relate them tommorow (it's late here). The reservations lady
said 'I love the hiker - never a complaint from them! I suppose they are
happy to have a place to take a break." Then non hiker rate is $95.00 per
person per night. I recall the hiker rate to be about 75.00 per room! Per
room not per person. They are so nice to us. I even suggested that they
might carry / sell some hiker type foods because the MiniMart has such a
limited  selection.

The place is very nice! This being Sunday there were few people and many
staff who were very hospitable.

It was a bit hot on the trail and some of us were seeking out shade from the
California scrub. I had my Golite Chrome Dome so I was in the shade the
whole time. Gotta love it. Being in the shade also helped with water intake
too. So if you are looking for an early start this might be the year for it.

So maybe start early and campout in the oaks by the stream in Agua Caliente,
hitch back to the Kickoff, return to the Spa and chill for a while then -
hike on. It's a thought.

- armchair