[pct-l] Southbound WA section hiker

hikerguy599 at aol.com hikerguy599 at aol.com
Thu Mar 8 23:42:47 CST 2007

Hi all.

As much as I would love to thru-hike this year, work and family obligations are keeping me close to home,
for now.  I'm hoping to thru-hike in 2009 or 2010.  Meanwhile, I'd love to meet up with some of you on
the trail.  I'm thinking of southbounding Hwy 2 (Stevens Pass) to I-90 (Snoqualmie Pass) with my son
this Summer and time it so as to meet as many northbounders as possible.  I'd like feedback from the class of
2007 (and others if you're so inclined) on when would be a good week to do this.  I'm thinking maybe late
August?

My son is 8 1/2, and ever since watching Squatch's wonderful films he has been "jonesing" to thru hike the
PCT himself (with me of course).  He's a bit young for that now but I'm hoping he'll still want to do it in 2009
or 2010 when I'm most likely to be able to break away for a thru-hike myself.  Meanwhile I'm "training him up,"
so to speak: we go for a 2-mile walk through the neighborhood every day, and I'm planning to take him on
several hikes this Spring, Summer and Autumn, including the section mentioned above, Seven Lakes Basin in
the Olympics, and if the trails are mostly intact at Mount Rainier (after November's devastating flooding), the
Wonderland Trail.  My son and I did a 15 mile weekend trek on this trail when he was only 5 years old
(bursting with fatherly pride).  ;^)

Speaking of the Wonderland Trail, I'd like to invite any thru-hiker or PCT-L member so inclined to take a side
trip from the PCT to hike it with us.  It would add about 93 totally amazing, premium miles to your hike.
About 5 days, right?  Another one is the Timberline trail around Mt. Hood, which I haven't done yet.  That
one is about 45 miles.  Anyone interested in joining us for either of these, or even Seven Lakes Basin, please
PM me.

See you at Trail Fest.
Mark Shank--Still working on a trail name.  Just don't call me "Pending."