[pct-l] Fw: pct and memory (and age)

Ron Smith ron.m.smith at comcast.net
Wed Mar 7 11:16:03 CST 2007

I experienced the same phenomenon. Over a number of years I first hiked
Washington, then Oregon, then California. The Washington part is clearest in
my memory, as I can recall most of the places I camped in surprising detail.
Oregon is still fairly clear in my mind, but California is mostly fuzzy (no,
I wasn't smoking dope.) I finished the pct last year, but events and places
from that trip are already vague.
I'm not a neurologist, but have always been interested in memory (at least I
think I have.) My theory is that as we repeat a similar experience over and
over, our minds, for efficiency sake, start generalizing and recording less
and less detail. Same thing with my job. I sat in a cubicle for 23 years,
but can't remember any one day clearly except the first couple of days I was
at work. For that I'm glad!
Ron Smith