[pct-l] Transportation from PCT to San Jose area

Dena Van Derveer pikahiker at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 23:47:51 CST 2007

During the summer, there is a hiker bus that runs from Lee Vining thru
Tuolumne, Yosemite Valley and Merced. From there, you can get the
train (which sometimes masquerades as a bus) to Emeryville or SF. Once
in the SF Bay Area there are several public transportation options
that will get you to Menlo Park (BART, SamTrans down the Peninsula).
It can be done, but it will take awhile. And it's not cheap.

There is nothing at Sonora Pass. I spent 2 hours trying to hitch out
of there on late on a Friday evening -- a fair amount of traffic, but
it mostly consisted of hunky guys and their sweeties in pickups. Not
about to give a ride to a grubby (woman) hiker whose boot soles were
flapping. I finally did get a ride with a day hiker I'd talked to
earlier in the afternoon.

See http://www.yarts.com
http://amtrak.com (stations YOS, SFP - San Francisco Peninsula)
And a nifty trip planner for the greater SF Bay Area:
http://transit.511.org/tripplanner/index.asp

--Pika
(new to the list; section hiked 2005, 2006 and looking forward to
doing more this year, in addition to working PCTA trail crew near
1000-Island Lake this summer -- hope to see some of you near there!)