[pct-l] Mt. Hardwear

Georgi Heitman bobbnweav at citlink.net
Tue Mar 6 17:30:45 CST 2007

I have a pair of these, given to me by an ultra-lite fanatic friend ....they're wonderful!!  When it comes to doing 'little' things that usually require removing even gloves to accomplish, they are super, I doubt that I could fasten a necklace, etc. w/ them on, but who'd expect to?  I can button buttons with them, screw on a tire valve and tie my shoes too.  That's good enough for me.  While as the Pirate sez, with mittens, they should be, and are for me,  all the warmth need, I've worn them under worn-out, holey leather gloves to move wet firewood and my hands stayed warmer longer than my husband's did, in whatever he had on them.  It was only when they got wet, through the holes in the leather gloves, that my fingers began to feel chilly.  I have a Mt. Hardwear Polartec 'stocking'  cap and balaclava as well.  Haven't used the balaclava too often, but the cap is very warm...and all these things are extremely lightweight....   Check out:

        http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgl-bin/backpackinglight/index.html

Oh, and by the way, as a spinner of fleece, I'd mention that if you check out the possum fur at this site, please be aware that what is being talked about here, is New Zealand possum, which is nothing like what you see skulking around looking like a nude, bionic mouse through your backyards at night in this country.   These critters are big, and furry to the max, the stuff dreams are made of from the standpoint of softness and warmth.  Combined with merino wool, the softest of sheep's fleece, which provides warmth even when wet, like your wool sweaters do, until the wind really starts blowing, now there's a great combo.
Georgi