[pct-l] Quilts vs bags

Matt Bradley mattbradley1 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 10:34:11 CST 2007

Paul,
     I have been using quilts for my backpacking for years now and I have
been very pleased.  I have an old Golite Fur quilt, a Ray-Way homemade quilt
and a Nunatak Arc Alpinist.  The Nunatak is far-and-away the winner in
performance with a 20* rating for 18 oz.  My quilt is actaully 20 oz. with 2
oz of overfill and I have slept under it in temps near 20* reasonably
comfortably.  If you go for the Ray-Way kit make sure to cut it wider than
you think you need it.  Even following Ray's instructions mine is only wide
enough to sleep on my back under and if I roll on my side it doesn't quite
reach the ground.
    For my anticipated 2008 PCT hike I am probably going to use some sort of
two-person quilt for me and my partner but I haven't quite decided what the
best option will be.  I really like the Dual Arc Alpinist but for nearly 600
dollars is is a hard pill to swallow.  Let us all know what you decide to do
and how it works out for you.
Peace and love,
Matt