[pct-l] Using Foam Pad for Ground Cloth

Hiker97 at aol.com Hiker97 at aol.com
Sat Mar 3 19:52:28 CST 2007

_footslogger03 at yahoo.com_ (mailto:footslogger03 at yahoo.com)   writes:

How big is your tent.  How large of a ground cloth are you talking  about ??
 'Logger

------------------------------------
I have the Big Agnes SL Seedhouse solo tent.  The  floor is approximately 43
X 90 inches, but it tapers toward the foot  end.  It has 22 sq. ft. floor
area, which is very nice for a solo  hiker.  The only thing I do not like about
the Seedhouse is that it  does not have a side entry.

The GossamerGear.com ThinLight wide pad is 41 X 61 inches.  I only  need it
to go from my shoulder area toward my feet.  The pad size  should just about do
it.  I use a pillow and the torso pad inside the  tent and that easily takes
care of the head/shoulder areas.  No  problem.

I move around a lot in my tent at night.  I like to roll around and  change
sleeping positions.  So, having most of the floor with a pad  under it makes
sense.  If you have ever placed your elbows on your tent  floor on a cold night,
you know exactly what I am talking about.  Even with  my down jacket on, the
cold is immediate.  With the floor padded, this will  be much less of a
problem.  And the weight is light for this  improvement.  In fact, it is just a
trade off from the narrower and  thicker pad I am using now.

If you really wanted to get wild  and could afford the weight, you could
Velcro two pads together to go under your  tent.  Wow.  Would that be great.  You
would have  half inch  of foam under your tent!

Switchback the Floor Heater
http://www.aol.com.